[We took a little bit longer to make something special for the latest video game-themed StoryBundle that I put together for Jason Chen’s excellent eBook bundle site! And the optional charity _and_ all of my curator cut goes to the excellent women in games org Pixelles. Here’s lots more info!]
Continuing its popular “pay what you want” ebook bundles, StoryBundle is proud to present the Summer Video Game Book Bundle – the sixth in the super popular series. Curated over the past 6 months, this specially picked set of 20+ fascinating game culture & history books/magazines.
It once again features over $100+ worth of books & magazines for a fraction of that price – including a world exclusive debut and literally thousands of pages of amazingly written and compiled content. This summer, either binge on the lot, or pick your favorites to read at your leisure!
The basic purchase tier ($3 or above) for the Summer Video Game Bundle, curated by game industry veteran Simon Carless, includes unprecedented ‘behind the scenes’ development story ‘How Video Games Are Made’ by Russ Pitts, as well as the special multi-author Virtual Reality issue from the brains at Kill Screen Magazine.
Also available at this tier is the immensely entertaining ‘Boss Fight Books: Bible Adventures’ by Gabe Durham, exploring the odd story behind the even odder Christian NES games, plus ‘Put This In Your Brain’, a world exclusive to this Storybundle compiling some amazing writing from the first year of game culture pub Unwinnable Weekly.
The higher-tier rewards—available at the higher payment tier of $12 or your local equivalent—include ‘HG101 Presents An Unofficial Guide To Castlevania’ – Kurt Kalata & friends coming up trumps again on Konami’s seminal series, as well as the four-book series (!) revealing the fascinating history of the tabletop RPG, ‘Designers & Dragons – The ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, & ’00s’ by Shannon Appelcline.
In addition, you’ll get SCROLL #12 by Ray Barnholt, the final issue of the acclaimed game history magazine focusing on the MSX (plus SCROLL #1-#11 as a special bonus if you didn’t pick ’em up in a previous bundle!) – and finally, ‘The Untold History Of Japanese Game Developers, Vol. 1’ by John Szczepaniak, going super duper deep into the unknown past of Japanese game creation.
As always, StoryBundle lets you name your own price to get a whole bunch of epic and excellent titles. A minimum bid of $3 gets you the basic set of four books:
- Boss Fight Books: Bible Adventures by Gabe Durham
- How Video Games Are Made by Russ Pitts
- Put This In Your Brain: The Best of Unwinnable Weekly by Stu Horvath & the Unwinnable Writers
- Kill Screen Issue 8: Virtual Reality by Kill Screen Magazine
Even better, if you pay $12 or higher, you unlock four more titles, which includes the four volumes of Designers & Dragons, and all 12 volumes of SCROLL #1-12! That’s twenty-two total books and magazine issues!
- Designers & Dragons – 1970s, 1980s, 1990s & 2000s by Shannon Appelcline
- The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers by John Szczepaniak
- HG 101 Presents: An Unofficial Guide to Castlevania by Kurt Kalata
- SCROLL: #12 – Introducing MSX (Plus #1-11 Bonus!) by Ray Barnholt
Finally, both the optional charity and the curator’s full cut from this bundle will be going to Pixelles (http://pixelles.ca/), a non-profit initiative committed to helping more women make and change games. The organization is based in Montreal, and have already succeeded in building a supportive community of hobbyist and professional game creators.
The bundle is available for a very limited time only, via http://www.storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub, .mobi and some .pdf) for all books!
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $3): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth to you. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to charity. We’re currently featuring Pixelles, a non-profit initiative committed to helping more women make and change games.
- Receive extra books: If you beat our bonus price, you’re getting twenty-two total books and magazine issues!
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.